Sunday, October 27, 2013
Saturday, October 26, 2013
First, I want to thank Joshua Holman for alerting me to this edition. He has also done quite a bit of research on this and other Bibles. Thank you Joshua!
What Joshua discovered is that The Gideons International distributed slightly modified editions of the New International Version. This is exciting to Bible Collectors and those who study different versions. The rest of you may yawn appropriately.
I don't know all the details of this edition yet. I believe in the U.S. The Gideons International distributed the New International Version of the Bible from 1983 to 1986. I have New Testaments from 1984 and 1985. I do not know if they distributed the full Bible in NIV as well.
The editions distributed by The Gideons had the following changes:
- Footnotes were removed.
- Some alternate readings in the footnotes were incorporated into the text (John 1:14, 18, 3:16, 18; Acts 13:33; Hebrews 1:5, 5:5; 1 John 4:9).
- Verses which were found only in the footnotes in the original NIV were incorporated into the Gideons text (Matthew 17:21, 18:11, 23:14; Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46, 11:26, 15:28; Luke 17:36, 23:17; John 5:4; Acts 8:37, 15:34, 28:29; Romans 16:24).
I am still trying to find out:
- What years did The Gideons in the U.S. distribute the NIV?
- What years did The Gideons in the U.K. distribute the NIV?
- Were there any other changes besides the ones mentioned above?
- Are the U.S. and the U.K. editions the same aside from anglicized spelling?
(The Gideons also distributed The New Berkeley Version in the 80s and are now distributing a slightly revised English Standard Version. More about this in a future post. I also wish to thank The Gideons International for their incredible ministry around the world!)